The last part of the teak roof was removed today. Peeled would be a better description as it came off in one piece.Here is Carrie sweeping up the debris – all over our beautiful new decking! The next job is to slice off the top surface of fibreglass and clear out the rotten balsawood core.
Well today saw us taking more of the saloon deck apart. It was slightly disappointing in that we had hoped to retain some of the teak planking to use again. However because it had all been fastened with epoxy resin the wood split before the joints broke. Almost everything will have to be junked.
The plywood beneath the teak is completely rotten, as we knew, and we have just hoovered everything up as we have gone.
Unfortunately the lovely teak edging strip around the cabin top has also disintegrated to the point where it is unlikely to be usable. Similarly the companionway hatch frame has broken apart and we are going to have to completely rebuild that too.
To cap it all the roof of the saloon is made of two layers of fibreglass with a layer of balsawood sandwiched in between. Because the water has been getting in and has seeped throughout the structure, the balsawood has also rotted.
The only solution to this is to cut off the entire outer layer of GRP in one, hopefully, single sheet peel it off, clean up all the rotten balsa wood and replace it with new. We will then have to stick it down with resin and put the sheet of old deck back in place weighting it down until it set.
This will then provide a solid structure upon which we can lay our plywood upon which we can put new teak or perhaps the same plastic material we have used for the main deck.
The wonders of boatbuilding never cease but I can tell you the number bonfires has not yet come to an end. This is all a bit of a nuisance. However by the time we have done all this saloon will be stronger than it has ever been since it was first built.
This whole project, especially the fibreglass bit, is testing my knowledge and ability and the bank balance.
Thank goodness for Boatworks.com on YouTube.
I have been ticked off today by my middle child for getting Anne Marie’s age wrong.
Ladies are known ( as are some men) for being sensitive of their age. So when I started this blog and said it was about the renovation of a 42 year old yacht I should have checked my maths.
Anne Marie was built in 1977 so she is 40. Oops.
So not only am I guilty of publishing a woman’s age, I actually got it wrong and in the wrong direction. Let’s hope she forgives me.
I want to increase the number of followers on the http://www.savinganneMarie.com website. I challenge each person who was gets a copy of this to forward it to 6 of their friends and asked them to follow the story.
There are various ways to do this but simplest is to go to the web site and tick ‘follow’. The next is to become a friend of Anne Marie onFacebook. She isn’t too fussy and you can recognise her by her obviously unique profile picture.
What’s in it for you? The pleasure of seeing the rebirth and saving of a wonderful sailing yacht.
So please help. More the merrier.
The cabin is a GRP moulding formed and then lowered onto the side ledge of the hull. Some months ago we spent some time levering the two pieces apart and filling them with sealant before bolting them back together again and covering them with a plywood deck.
Anyway the surface above the cabin is in very poor condition. It is a real source of leaks as there are numerous fittings which bolt through allowing water to enter. This has been one of the major causes of the water leaking into the boat.
In the past people have tried to cure this by putting fibreglass resin over the whole thing which gave it it’s white colour. This has crazed and split making the whole thing even worse.
The deck is actually made up of three parts. The fibreglass moulding which is then covered with plywood and then strips of teak have been put on top. This teak layer has had the fibreglass put on it because the teak was moving. This by the way was the wrong thing to have done. The more the water got in the more the plywood core has rotted away.
We started to remove the planking at the weekend and found that the plywood was so poor that we could hoover it with our trusty vacuum cleaner. There was almost a half inch gap (12 mm to the millenniums amongst you) between the teak and the fibreglass because the plywood has rotted away. What is more instead of sealing each plank with a flexible compound someone used epoxy resin which has cracked and let even more water through.
Time for a complete rethink and so first things first remove the lot down to the GRP.
So two days of wandering around the boat show have moved us on nicely. Thanks to Marine Superstore and Stuart at Dometic we have bought a Dometic Starlight two burner cooker, grill and oven and a CRX65D drawer based fridge/freezer. Hot food plus cold Champagne (without having to hang the bottle overboard). Luxury!
We have also bought:
* A gas powered pedestal, from Marine Teak, for our new saloon table which lowers to create a double berth. Actually the new table is an up-cycle of an oak refectory table we bought 20 years ago from Maidstone Girls Grammar School complete with 100 year old chewing gum – such refined girls went there.
* 6 large sized inflatable fenders with ropes and the valve kit from Compass Marine (Dartmouth).
* A lovely shiny two unit galley sink with taps and wastes plus a shower and taps set for the heads from Penguin.