Well the weather is just lovely and don’t we wish we had Anne Marie finished six months ago? What a summer it has been on the south coast of England.
The last week has seen us really getting Anne Marie ready for winter. Colean is a massively expensive paint but it really does the trick with teak. You must however keep the lid on as it cures in double quick time with moisture in the air. We (Carrie actually) have taken to pouring small amounts into a container and using that before getting more out.
The other thing we have noticed is that the Germans (it’s a German product) don’t like you to take the lid off more than once as the lids are very lightweight. They just bend.
I have also gone round and filled all the toe-rail teak plugs as they were not weather proof. Epoxy mixed with team dust and colloidal silica filler has done the trick.. A bit of sanding once set and you wouldn’t notice (much).
We have also been doing the engine wiring (still). It has taken a long time tracking the wiring loom from the cockpit to the engine compartment and then extending the wires to the correct length. The old loom had been cut, melted and just plain adjusted so we are spending time getting things right.
Lastly we have been taking off the cockpit seats to replace/repair them. The old teak strips are in poor condition but the plywood sheeting upon which they are mounted has completely rotted away.
Oh and I have put the mizzen boom on the boat. Hopeful I know but at least I am getting a hard head where I keep bashing it getting in and out of the cockpit!
Well the Perkins 4.108 engine is still going and we are currently tracing the wiring loom to the control panel so that we can get the system working from the cockpit.
The reconditioned engine is quite old and doesn’t have glowplugs. It uses an old system to pre-heat some fuel, injected at the air intake, with an igniter. The hot (flaming) air going into the engine is supposed to be good enough to enable the engine to start.
We have a slight leak on the cold start chamber. Not sure what it does but I can buy a new one for 90 Euro from Poland!
Trouble is the wiring loom is for a glowplug engine so we are adjusting it to suit the new engine. One of the gauges is rusty (the battery condition voltage) so I am going to change it for the fuel gauge. The battery condition can be put somewhere else.
We have also painted the teak hand rails and wash boards which look great.
I have refurbished the control panel which is a great improvement.
Finally we have put a second coat of paint on the cabin roof.
Hooray! Yesterday we got the engine running inside the boat. Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos or videos!
It took a while (the whole day) because the wiring of this engine is different to the one that was there before so we had to improvise. Nevertheless the gearbox works and propeller turns in both directions. It was a little noisy and a bit smokey but that will die down as the engine was reconditioned about ten years ago and then not used. It needs to be gently run in under a light load.
Engine issues to address now are:
Create a wiring loom and link up to all the instruments.
Create a manageable ignition switching system.
Change a mounting bolt which is knocking on the engine.
Fix an oil leak on the oil filter mount.
Buy a battery – it really is unfair to use the chickens’ electric fence battery for starting – it is not designed for such effort.
Install the Ultraflex engine controls and buy new control lines.
Plumb in the raw-water system as we cannot run the engine with a hose-pipe from a shore tap.
Plumb in the hot-water cylinder through the engine cooling water system.
Set up the fuel lines.
Not necessarily in that order.
Then we can take Anne Marie out for a motor. – I really ought to put an anchor on board first though.
We bought some bedding and acrylic glasses at the boat show from Ship Shape. The bedding was a mattress protector and fitted sheet for the forward cabin Vee berth. The picture shows it fitted to the enormous bed before Rusty, the ship’s dog, had tried it out.
More importantly however we left a box of tumblers at the Ship Shape stand in Southampton. They called us on Tuesday and by Wednesday the lost box had been delivered by courier to us.
While the weather in the south of the UK continues to be fine we just keep on painting.
We have finished the cabin sides and are now concentrating on the cockpit. It is amazing how three undercoats and topcoats can transform everything.
Well its not really a warning about the hatch but more about inaction.
We had the fore-hatch refurbished probably two years ago and we installed it in the new deck in September 2017.
This was the original – it had a series of early solar panels sandwiched between two layers of perspex – they didn’t work!
So we had it refurbished.
When you buy Perspex/Acrylic it comes with a protective film on each face. When I installed the hatch I removed the interior sheet but left the exterior one in place as a protection. Now this did protect the surface from a few blobs of resin dropped on the hatch which is good. However………
Over time the UV attacks the film and makes it brittle and difficult to remove. Instead of peeling off nicely in one sheet it breaks up into tiny pieces which don’t want to come off.
Eventually after much work (see video) the hatch was sparkling.