Hooray! Yesterday we got the engine running inside the boat. Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos or videos!
It took a while (the whole day) because the wiring of this engine is different to the one that was there before so we had to improvise. Nevertheless the gearbox works and propeller turns in both directions. It was a little noisy and a bit smokey but that will die down as the engine was reconditioned about ten years ago and then not used. It needs to be gently run in under a light load.
Engine issues to address now are:
- Create a wiring loom and link up to all the instruments.
- Create a manageable ignition switching system.
- Change a mounting bolt which is knocking on the engine.
- Fix an oil leak on the oil filter mount.
- Buy a battery – it really is unfair to use the chickens’ electric fence battery for starting – it is not designed for such effort.
- Install the Ultraflex engine controls and buy new control lines.
- Plumb in the raw-water system as we cannot run the engine with a hose-pipe from a shore tap.
- Plumb in the hot-water cylinder through the engine cooling water system.
- Set up the fuel lines.
Not necessarily in that order.
Then we can take Anne Marie out for a motor. – I really ought to put an anchor on board first though.