Progress 13 July 2018

It has been a few weeks since I last updated my blog. So what have we been doing apart from going on holiday catching some lobsters and crabs.

The galley has now got some drawers and makes it look much more like a proper functioning location.

The rudder has been properly refurbished and primed/under coated. It has had a number of coats of epoxy and a layer of glass fibre Mat. It has been offered up to the boat and I am in the process of fitting the stuffing box and bearings.

The engine is now under the floor and I have completed the rebuilding of the engine mount support brackets. These are now fixed to the engine which is roughly aligned in place.

I have had some difficulty in dealing with the flexible coupling between the engine and propeller shaft. This is because the output shaft of the gearbox is a two bolt affair and the flange that is fixed to the propeller shaft has four bolts. This is meant manufacturing a conversion.

The propeller shaft has been removed in the attempt to get the propeller off. I’m still struggling with this But now have access to an hydraulic puller. In this case hitting it hard with a hammer didn’t work.

I have loosened up the mechanism which goes between the rudder shaft and the wheel steering. This allows me to adjust the steering angle of the rather a bit like you have to have your cars front wheels properly aligned to ensure it goes in a straight line and doesn’t wear out.

I have installed the through-hull for the new log which will enable me to measure speed and distance travelled.

A new name

When painting a boat one has to plan for repainting the name. Here we are measuring the X height and font width as well as taking a ‘brass rubbing’.

We thought it was painted on by hand but it turns out we have a stick-on.

Fitting the engine 2

Well I have made a hoist frame of timber to and this has my two tonne engine hoist attached to it. I have slung the hoist from the top and attached it to the engine with fabric slings. I can now raise and lower the engine from the engine bed to the cabin floor without too much hassle. I do this a lot.

I have managed to cut down the two engine brackets at the front of the engine by about 75 mm and this allows me to fit the new engine mountings.

I have taken the two brackets at the back of the engine and decided to take Them apart using my trusty mini grinder. Good old Roger at the boat yard is going to re-weld them the other way up to give me an additional 75 mm of adjustment. This will hopefully enable the engine to be fitted front and back to new engine mountings and to then be raised underlined to the propeller shaft.

I have cleaned up the propeller shaft coupling bracket but that still leaves me with a problem relating to the gearbox. I have found a right-handed rotating yeah box which is the same make and model to The one I currently have. I don’t know whether it actually works.

If it is good it also has a matching gearbox shaft flange to my propeller shaft and that problem would be solved.

Watch this space

The new gearbox end plate matches the red propeller shaft one.

The current gearbox end plate – a standard Perkins two hole affair so I am told.

Fitting engine 1

The more I do, the more I find out.

1. I have a right handed propeller.

2. I have a contra-rotating gearbox which means I need a left handed propeller.

3. The Perkins 4.108 engine has non-standard face plates at either end.

4. The original engine mounting brackets are all wrong and need to be made individually to fit.

5. The propeller shaft coupling plate is mid- matched to the gearbox coupling plate (two holes vs four).

6. With such a mid-match I cannot get a flexible coupling to fit between the gearbox and propeller shaft.

Work work work

Carrie and Carole have been painting cupboard doors and locker lids.

Following the hard work that Dave and Carole put in I have applied another primer undercoat has gone onto the stern and starboard side. This has covered the area well and you can see the difference between the two sides. I will get three coats of primer undercoat if I can before sanding down for the top coats.

New hole cut into hull for the speed log housing to be fitted.

A timber frame has been installed to suspend the engine from. The engine is now at cabin floor level so that I can gain access and remove the shaft coupling.

The ultra flex B85 single lever engine control has been removed and renovated ready for reinstatement.

More halyards have been spliced ready for installation on the mainmast.

Sanding

What a way to spend a sunny day – sanding the hull to remove brush marks before the next coat.

I started with wet and dry by hand but have graduated to an electric palm sander. All the same it’s dusty, hard on the arms and wrists and slow.

Still lots of work now will lead to a great finish later.

First undercoat on

Yesterday Dave and I managed to finish filling and sanding the topsides and get a first coat of Hempel Primer Undercoat on.  This took about two hours.

The weather is not going to be suitable for a few days but I will sand down again in preparation.

WE did this by roller and then ‘tipping off’ by brush.  I am not particularly happy with the end result so the jury is out about whether I try to spray paint the topcoats.