It’s been a quiet month leading up to Christmas but I bought Home the mizzenmast and the forestay complete with all the roller reefing equipment to do some maintenance. At over 12 m in length it stuck out in front of the truck along way and stuck out behind a long way too.
I have recently discovered after much on line research that the roller reefing system is a Furlex B which is about as old as the boat. It’s a little bit bent and needs lots of Tlc and grease but will be fine ( I hope).
Fortunately the instruction manual is online and with a call to some rigging specialists I discovered The way to free it up.
Basically you heat the lowest part of the gear with a blowtorch and then hit it as hard as you can with a club hammer. It was really that simple and now when I get a moment I shall take the little sections apart and store them until we put the mast back up.