The Fore Hatch
Well today (6th Feb 2016) I have struggled with removing the screws holding down the fore-hatch which are proving to be problematic. There are 20 screws and they probably haven’t been removed since the yacht was built in 1977!
A couple came out without a struggle but the majority have had to be heated and taken out. I have a small gas-powered soldering iron/rope knife which doubles as a blow-torch and heat gun. I used the heat gun and concentrated the flame on the screw-head for about a minute. There was a surprising amount of condensation built up on the surrounding metal hatch frame. The idea is that the sealant and wood softens and relaxes its grip enabling the screw to be turned. I got a further fifteen or so out that way. A big screwdriver with a wrench for extra leverage was the most successful method.
There are a number however which are improving significantly more stubborn and they will probably end up being drilled although I am going to have a go with a larger screwdriver, a bigger wrench and an impact screwdriver.